Some months ago, MBBS student died after BBMP truck rams scooter due to potholes. It was not the first incident. Every year 3,597 people die due to potholes. Over 25,000 people got injured. in last 3 years.
A pothole is a depression in a road surface, usually asphalt pavement, where traffic has removed broken pieces of the pavement. It is usually the result of water in the underlying soil structure and traffic passing over the affected area. The reason for potholes is simple, low quality of materials used and low intention of leaders and corruption.
Its not like governments have low budget for roads, every year thousands of crores are allotted for it. Governments and NGOs are taking steps to maintain roads but looking at the incidents and quality of the roads, the efforts don’t seem to be enough.
What steps should be taken to reduce potholes?
– Bitumen: Using bitumen instead tar improves the quality of the road. It extends the life of a road.
– Maintenance: Timely maintenance of roads leads to increase in life of roads.
– Infrastructure: Use of good quality raw materials helps to increase life. Proper supervision and quality check should be done by the concerned authorities.
– Reporting: A citizen has various duties. Proper reporting of potholes to the municipal corporations is also our duty. Many times our ignorance leads to deaths of other people.
– Corruption: Proper investigation and suspension of the person responsible will lead to reduced potholes.
– Issues: When citizens will start raising real issues and vote our leader on it. There will be no potholes on the road.
It is sad if you are in Mumbai and you have to drive every day. If you are from Bangalore, congratulations your government has given you live view of moon in your city only. If you are from UP or other states, we feel sad for you that your issues are not being noticed and you have no issue with that.
Do read our blog on Why #SaveLakshadweep?